Three different types of trucks: semi, tanker, and box truck

What Can I Drive With My Class A CDL?

Type of Driving Jobs for Class A CDL

There are different classifications of CDL licenses and each allows you to drive different types of vehicles. It’s your responsibility as a driver to understand the type of CDL you need to get the job you want.

Class A CDL Vehicles

Your Class A CDL will allow you to operate a large range of vehicles including any combination of vehicles that weigh at least 26,001 pounds or higher along with a vehicle that is getting towed that weighs more than 10,000 pounds. Some of the vehicles that you drive when you receive your Class A CDL include:

  • Tractor Trailers
  • Truck and Trailer Combinations
  • Double and Triple Trailers
  • Tractor-Trailer Buses
  • Tanker Vehicles
  • Livestock Carriers
  • Flatbeds

Your CDL Class A license may allow you to operate in some Class B or C vehicles depending on which state you reside in and the laws and regulations that your country has made.

More Job Opportunities With Special Endorsements

Getting your Class A CDL will allow you to drive most large trucks, trailers, and other large vehicles. However, there are certain instances where you will need additional training in order to drive a vehicle. Endorsements are required in order to work jobs that in which you’re carrying hazardous materials or transporting h a certain number of passengers at the same time.

The following are the common endorsements that you can earn in addition to your CDL. You can train for specific endorsements at Napier! Each endorsement will include a written knowledge test to receive the endorsement. Find out which endorsements you’ll need for the job you want!

  • H Endorsement: required if you will be driving vehicles containing hazardous materials.
  • N Endorsement: permits drivers to drive vehicles with tanks on them.
  • P Endorsement: permits drivers to drive vehicles that carry a specific number of passengers. The actual number of passengers allowed will vary by state.
  • S Endorsement: permits drivers to drive school buses. Getting an S Endorsement will also require the driver to take a road skills test, submit entirely separate application forms, pass a complete background check, and have an acceptable driving record.
  • T Endorsement: permits drivers to drive a double or triple trailer.
  • X Endorsement: permits drivers to drive vehicles that transport HAZMAT materials or vehicles that are tankers.

These are the most common endorsements, and it is up to the driver of the vehicle to know what specific endorsements they’ll need to get hired. Obtaining the proper endorsements ensures the safety of both yourself and those around you.

Ready to get started on your new career in trucking? Napier Truck Driver Training can get you trained and ready for your new career in just 5 weeks! Contact us if you’re ready to learn more!