When you decide that you want to become a truck driver, the first step you’ll need to take is to get your commercial drivers license (CDL). There are different ways you can go about getting your CDL, you can either enroll in a truck driving school or complete training with a trucking company.
Explore the differences between these two CDL training options! Find out why enrolling in a truck driving school is ultimately a better option for your CDL training.
Why Choose a Truck Driving School?
Many choose to enroll in a truck driving school over completing company training. Enrolling in a CDL program gives you quality training and allows you to work for any trucking company after your training. By choosing a truck driving school for your CDL training, you’ll enjoy the following benefits:
- Get top-notch CDL training from professionals with experience in the field.
- Many schools can cater the instruction to the needs of specific students in their class.
- Driving schools accept students whether they have previous experience or not.
- Majority of trucking school offer job placement assistance upon completion of the program.
- There are several ways to finance your CDL training. Resulting in little to no cost for you to get your CDL.
Truck driving schools are designed to teach individuals who are new to the industry, how to succeed in trucking. Choosing a truck driving school allows you to choose the employer you wish to work for after your graduation and start your career in trucking right away.
Why Choose Company Training?
Another option to get your CDL is to complete training with a trucking company. A few benefits to choosing company training are:
- You’ll get to train with the same team you’ll be working with on a daily basis in your new job.
- No need to look for a job after your training. The downside to this is that most companies will require you to sign a contract to stay for a while after your training.
- The training is typically free of cost to you. Cost is the main reason many choose to complete company training.
Finishing your CDL training at a trucking company can be a good option for some. The biggest downside to choosing company training is that you may be stuck with that company for quite some time. The training is “free” to you if you agree to sign a deal to work for that carrier for a specific amount of time.
Which CDL Training Option is Best?
Both training options will result in you getting your CDL. However, many choose to enroll in a truck driving school because it gives them a bit more freedom once they’re finished. Nothing worse than being in a job you hate. By enrolling in a trucking school, you open up your job opportunities!
Many CDL schools are also willing to “cater” their training to students if needed. They can focus on the specific skills you need to practice or help you train to get the endorsements you want. The individualized attention and personalized curriculum is an opportunity you just can’t get through company training.
Many people opt for company training because they won’t have to worry about the cost of their training. However, there are many options to help students finance their CDL training. In addition to financial assistance and government-funded programs, Napier works with some of the top trucking companies who offer tuition reimbursement!
Choosing to get your CDL from a truck driving school can get you the personalized attention you need to pass your CDL test. Napier Truck Driver Training can also provide you with job placement assistance!
For more information on why a truck driving school is your best option for getting your CDL, please feel free to contact us! Napier Truck Driver Training can get you trained and ready for your new career in just 5 weeks!