We know changing careers can be a challenging decision. You may be having a hard time convincing your spouse and family members that going to CDL school is the best choice for you. Since many new drivers have to start out their career in over-the-road (OTR) positions, there is a good chance you may away from home. Your family is probably worried about the time you’ll spend away from them. Here are some ideas to address their concerns.
Share the Advantages of Truck Driving
Attending a CDL school like Napier Truck Driver Training is the first step toward your new career as a professional truck driver. Talking to your spouse and family about the benefits of being a truck driver can help them understand why CDL school is the right choice. Here’s what your loved ones need to know.
- Truck driving is an in-demand career. Truckers have lots of work available to them.
- Being an OTR driver pays well. In 2018, the median salary for truck drivers was $43,680. That means half of all truckers earned more than that.
- You don’t have to be in an OTR job forever. After you have a year or two of experience, many companies will hire you for local driving jobs.
Make a Plan to Stay in Touch
When your family sees you’re making an effort to maintain your relationships, you’re showing them that you still value connection with them. Sometimes creative, unordinary ideas can keep communication interesting!
- Free video calls through apps like Skype, FaceTime, or Google Duo
- A private Facebook group for sharing photos and messages
- Postcards from the places you visit
- Letters. Old-fashioned? Yes, but your family will love them.
- Start a vlog for your family about your travels.
You and your family may want to decide together how the two of you will keep in touch. Don’t be surprised if your spouse wants daily communication at a specific time. (An example would be a phone call before you get on the road each morning.) For other family members, consider letting them know when and how you will communicate with them.
Now that you’ve gotten your spouse and family on board with your decision to go to CDL school, contact us today to learn how to get started.